Self or Personal development is a continuous process of improving on yourself in order to be efficient and efficient in whatever that you do.
Self-development is a process that helps you to become a better version of yourself by acquiring knowledge and skills that are relevant to your growth and personal wellness.
After you must have discovered yourself and your purpose, it’s important that you develop yourself by building capacities that are necessary to your personal growth and success.
Success favours the bold, and those that have discovered and developed themselves. If you have neither discovered not developed yourself, you will keep struggling endlessly without results. Developing yourself entails knowing what is necessary for your growth and then taking action to get them done.
Personal development is a journey to endless possibilities. No matter your level in life or what you think you have achieved, there is always room for improvement.
PRINCIPLES OF SELF-DEVELOPMENT
Self-acceptance is a virtue. Accepting that you deserve to change is the first principle of developing yourself. To truly move forward in life, you need to take responsibility of everything that occurs in your life.
2. Set achievable Goals:
The goals you set for yourself must be realistic. Never push yourself too forward, set realistic short term goals by taking one step at a time.
3. Know yourself:
If you truly want to get ahead in life, then you must know who you are. Knowing yourself will enable you to know the areas you need to improve. Socrates an ancient philosopher while reflecting on the enigma of life said: “an unexamined life is not worth living”. Until you know who you are, you will never make much improvement.
4. Expand your circles:
Always make sincere efforts to increase your network because your network determines your net worth. Expanding your circles of contacts, friends and associates will bring lots of benefits to you including an opportunity to develop yourself.
Becoming a highly sociable person will make life more interesting to you and as well make you become friendlier to your environment. Look for opportunities that will build your reputation and identity.
You can do this by becoming proactive, participating in various social gatherings, and engaging in professional development opportunities.
5. Get a mentor:
Getting a mentor is one of the important to ways of developing yourself. A mentor will teach you key principles of succeeding in life by sharing either their personal experiences or experiences of others. The end-result is that you will learn from their mistakes and amend yourself. A mentor shows you how to actualize your potentials faster than you can ever imagine. A mentor is a guide.
6. Keep learning:
There is no end to learning. Education develops your mind and equips you with the principles of getting ahead in life.
Learning expands your horizon and allows you to discover amazing things you didn’t know about yourself. The more you learn, the better you become.
Being able to continuously learn and update your skills has been made easier with the help of technology. An online education can provide great benefits to individuals seeking further development.
Example is this GIGMOF SCHOOL OF MENTORING. A 3months online course.
7. Discover your passion:
What are you passionate about? It necessary you discover your passion and pursue it. Success won’t come on a platter of gold. If you keep working hard, success will be yours at the end of the day. Success doesn’t come with a sudden flight; you need to prepare for it and your ability to be passionate about whatever you do will help you to make progress in life.
8. Surround yourself with like-minds:
There is nothing worse as moving with the wrong people. If you are moving with the wrong people, you can never arrive at the right destination. You really need to get along with great people. Move with those on the same journey with you, those that want to see you excel, and those that want the same things you want from life.
Note: If you run around losers, you will end up a loser. Beware of negative and unproductive relationship.
9. Ignore your limitations:
Limiting beliefs hinders your progress by keeping you caught up in your comfort zone and prevents you from trying out new things and stops you from tacking risks for the fear of failure or getting hurt in the process. You can have limiting beliefs about almost anything ranging from money, relationship, success, and the list is endless. It is important to identify your limiting beliefs, conquer them, and reinstate them with positive beliefs that enable you to achieve your dreams in life.
10. Work on your growth mindset:
Your attitude defines who you are as a person and it the identification point of the state of your mind. You must constantly work on your attitude and strive to make it one conducive for growth. A positive mental attitude can move mountains for you. It helps you to achieve what your want from life.
OBSTACLES TO SELF-DEVELOPMENT
1. Pride and Self-sufficient Syndrome: Never allow pride to stop you from learning and improving on yourself. No matter what you know, you can still learn and be better off.
2. Ignorance: The Bible says in Hosea 4:6 that my people are perish for lack of knowledge. Ignorance kills faster than death. Seek knowledge in relevant areas.
3. Lack of Vision: People without vision hardly make effort to develop themselves. They are shortsighted and never think of improving themselves
4. Complacency: A lot of people got stuck on their comfort zones and as a result they don’t bother to develop themselves.
5. Procastination: Some people never take steps to develop themselves as a result procastination. They keep postponing the necessary steps they supposed to have taken to get better
6. Wrong Association: Wrong association or negative relationship is what is holding many people down from developing themselves
7. Wrong Location: Just as fishes cannot survive outside water, so it’s difficult for people to make progress in a wrong environment. Your location is important to Self-development.
8. Financial Problem: As a result of lack of financial resources, some people have problem developing themselves in some relevant areas.
9. Lack of Mentoring: Mentoring is essential to Self-development and personal greatness. When mentoring is lacking, Self-development and personal growth might be distorted
10. Excuses: People given different excuses for their failure and inability to develop themselves. But NO EXCUSE IS TENABLE FOR FAILURE.
BENEFITS OF SELF-DEVELOPMENT
- It gives you competitive advantage
- It enhances your effectiveness and efficiency
- It increases your chances of getting results in everything you do
- It promotes your image and self-confidence
- It limits your errors and reduces your weaknesses
- It enhances your relevance and resourceness
- It prepares you ahead of emerging opportunities
- It confers on you respect and honour
- It increases your chances of preferment and promotability
- It enables you stand tall among your equals
One of the most sane and apt decisions you can make for yourself is to strive towards continuous self-development.
Some of the things that we all want for ourselves include: enhancing the quality of our lives, achieving more, becoming better people, and trying to be a better version of ourselves. That’s why we set personal development goals in our lives.
© IMPART MEDIA
By Mr. Gbenga Emiloju.