All great and successful people are intensely goal-oriented. They know what they want and they are focused on achieving it by setting achievable goals without allowing anything whatsoever to stop them.
It is important for you to know that for you to be successful, you must set goals, because your goals are the bridges that connect you from where you are now to where you want to be in the futire. Your ability to set achievable goals and follow them through is a vital principle that guarantees true success and attain personal greatness.
A life without meaningful goals is a wasted adventure. Goal is like a map that provides direction and instructions for the journey of life. Brian Tracy wrote in his book GOAL!; “Without goals, you simply drift and flow on the currents of life. But with goals, you fly like an arrow, straight and true to your target.”
Goals help you to minimize your involvement in unnecessary events and activities, and help you channel your efforts and time on necessary and important issues of life. Clearer goals enhance your preparedness and increase your level of motivation as you work towards attaining personal greatness.
THE NECESSITY OF GOAL-SETTING
The necessity of Goal-Setting explain reasons why it’s expedient for us to set goals and achieve them.
- People live aimlessly when they don’t have any meaningful or purposeful goals
- You feel truly happy only when you are making progress and attaining personal goals.
- Goals setting and attainment give you a sense of purpose and direction.
- Living a life of purpose requires that you set and achieve goals that are relevant to your personal greatness.
- Every step you take toward achieving your goals increases your self-confidence and enhances your self-worthiness.
- Your goals enable you to instill meaning and purpose to everything you do.
- Goal setting helps you manage your time, resources and energy effectively.
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT GOALS
Personal Development Goals (PDG) is an important factor that produces growth and necessitates personal development. Your life will not just produce your desired results until you put necessary goals in place to make it happen.
TYPES OF GOALS
1. Short-Term Goals:
Short-term goals are goals that can be achieved within the space of one year. Such as your resolutions for the new year, purchase of household furniture, saving to buy land or for car down payment, planning to start a new career, learning a new skill, writing new book, improvement on your characters/habits, etc
2. Medium-Term Goals:
Medium-term goals are the goals that span beyond the period of one year. They usually start from the period of one year to two, three or five years as the case may be. Examples of such are, having a university or college degree, starting a building project, starting a new relationship, preparing for marriage and family life, saving to start a business etc
3. Long-Term Goals:
Long-term goals are usually designed for future ambitions or expectations. In most cases, such plans cover five, ten, twenty or thirty years goals. They are plans put in place to take care of long-term desires, expectations or unforeseen circumstances. Such as life/family insurance plans, educational insurance for children yet unborn, building capacity to reach the peak of your career, self-development plan to be fit for bigger positions, future political ambitions, retirement plans etc
PRINCIPLES/TECHNIQUES OF GOAL-SETTING
Goal Setting is a powerful technique for accomplishing success, but for Goal Setting to be really effective, it requires more than just writing down what you want to achieve. This article will present important steps that will help you to define and achieve goals with more success.
This Goal-Setting process entails the following requirements:
1. A Well formed Goal Statements: The Goal Statement forms the basis for the entire process, so careful attention should be placed on formulating a clear and accurate goal statement. A good way to remember how a goal statement should be defined is the old S.M.A.R.T. acronym used by many experts in goal setting. SMART stands for:
2. SMART: The Goal should be Specific enough so that you know exactly what you are striving for. Measurable so you can tell exactly when the goal has been reached. Action-oriented to indicate an activity that will produce results.
3. REALISTIC: Realistic in the sense that it is practical and can be achieved. Time and resources constrained meaning that it has a definite deadline for completion and realizes limited availability of resources.
4. Break Goals into manageable Steps: Once you have a well-formed Goal Statement, you need some direction to follow to achieve this Goal. The creation of Goal Steps gives you a list of the important things that need to be done to achieve the Goal. Action plan enables you to track your progress towards the goal. It also enables you to manage your time, energy and available resources for the goal in an effective and efficient manner.
5. Dedication and Commitment: Dedication and commitment are what make you strive to achievement. They give you the push, desire, and resolve to start and complete all of the other steps in the Goal process. Dedication helps you to decide what you want to do and start it, while Commitment is what sets you on to reach your goals in the face of challenges and difficulties.
6. Reminders and Keeping on Track: Reaching your goals requires persistence and regular attention. You need some sort of system to keep you reminded and accountable. Experts use a combination of reminder emails, calendars, and reports to keep users organized and on track. If some accountability system is not used, then you are likely to lose sight and fail.
7. Frequent Review and Re-assessment: Goal Setting is definitely an ongoing process that is accomplished over time. When you first define goals, it may appear a difficult and daunting task but over time, it begins to get much easier. All goals due in the next year should be reviewed at least once or twice in a month if possible. The great thing about frequent review is that this forces you to make big decisions and determine priorities in your life.
BENEFITS OF GOAL-SETTING ATTAINMENT
1. Priority: Goal setting helps you to determine your priorities and follow them through
2. Organization: Goal setting helps you to be organized and do things in order
3. Decision Making: Goal setting helps you to make right decisions at the right time
4. Attainment: Goal setting enhances your skill and knowledge for goal attainment
5. Focus: Goal setting enables you to avoid distractions and live a focused life
6. Motivation: Having a set goals brings motivation and encouragement to your soul
7. Planning: Goal setting helps you to effectively and strategically plan your life
8. Discipline: Goal setting helps you to impose self-discipline on yourself about your goal
9. Direction: Goal setting gives your life a sense of meaning and direction
10. Purpose: Goal setting helps you to be intentional and purposeful.
Here is the word of Orison Swett Marden; “All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible.”
Another one from Pablo Picasso says; “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
Michael Korda also said; “One way to keep momentum going is to have constantly greater goals.”
The implication of everything you have learn in this course is that, goal setting is crucial to your personal greatness and you cannot be successful or attain personal greatness without set and achieve meaningful goals.
When you fail to plan, you have already planned to fail. For a goal you did not set is a goal
that you cannot achieve.
Since no excuse is tenable to justify destiny failure, you must be determined to set laudable goals and ride on life’s challenges to reach those goals.
I challenge you all to plan your life and set achievable goals for your personal growth and self-development. If you do so, I can assure you that your future will be great!
By Mr Gbenga Emiloju
© IMPART MEDIA 2020